Friday, January 13, 2012

The Pros of Children's Television

I admit it my two year old daughter knows the names of all the characters on Playhouse Disney. She actually actually has her first crush...on Winnie the Pooh. Do I sometimes feel like a bad mum for allowing her to watch more than the recommended one hour of television for a child her age? Sometimes...but not for long.

Why you ask? Because first of all, her telly is supervised. She never watches anyone unless I am in the room or nearby. I know what is going into her minuscule mind. Secondly, I believe that watching ability shows is teaching her in a fun manner. The minuscule Einsteins expose her to classical music and art. Mickey's Clubhouse teaches her mental skills. Bear in the Big Blue House teaches her to get along with others. And most importantly, I re-enforce all those lessons by talking to her about what she sees. We discuss ways that she and I can copy those lessons and use them in our daily life. It is funny to watch her help her daddy with a Diy task on the weekend and hear her call a screw driver Turner or Philippe...from Handy Manny.

Baby Gate

As I sit here now writing this article, I have one eye on my daughter, who is playing with the large screws from the safety gates. Could that be because she is trying to emulate Manny and his tools? It is called active watching. Rarely will my daughter sit staring at the Tv screen...only when she is very tired. It is something that she glances at as she plays.

Yet for a stay-at-home parent trying to balance the demands of caring for a child with the time significant to build a new business, ability children's television can be a real life saver. It offers my daughter mental stimulation and lessons when I am at the computer or on the phone. Of course, as I said it is important to monitor what they watch...and to use your discretion. I do not allow her to watch anyone that is violent...even in cartoons. But if used wisely, ability children's television can supply parents with a break and children with important lessons.

The Pros of Children's Television

Friends Link : Hotel in Thai Pattaya Hotels blu ray blu ray blu ray wifi

No comments:

Post a Comment